Barcelona Balsamic Chickpeas
I had the baby squid with haricot beans bathed in a warm sauce of olive oil and balsamic vinegar at an amazing little tapas bar called Pinotxo in Barcelona’s Mercat de La Boqueria. It was savory, a delightful combination of flavors. I saw that Juanita, also has a version using chickpeas.
This dish is my vegan version of the Barcelona favourite, made with chickpeas, brightened by freshly chopped parsley and a great balsamic tanginess. This would make a great side salad or protein rich entree when combined with meats. Great served over corn crisps or rice thins too as a tapas!
- 250g canned chickpeas, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar reduction for drizzling
- In a non stick frying pan, heat a little extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas, salt and black pepper to taste. Add freshly chopped parsley and stir in to soften the parsley slightly.
- Stir to combine and remove from heat. Transfer to a earthenware or serving dish.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and good balsamic vinegar reduction.
- Add freshly cracked black pepper and salt.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.