Japanese sweets are hardly rich and this steamed cake is another one that is thoroughly pleasing and satisfying. Fluffy and incredibly easy to make, mushi-pan proves that the best cakes don’t need to be fancy.
Special thanks to Kazuko Ishigaki for sharing her time-tested recipe! We had the honour of learning how to make kiritanpo in Akita Prefecture from this kindly lady. When she served us this mushi-pan, it was love at first bite. While there are many recipes out there for mushi-pan, hers truly works!
Ingredients (Makes 1 cake)
- 2 eggs
- 300g flour
- 200ml milk
- 250g sugar
- 85g honey
- 24g baking soda
- 100ml vinegar
- Sesame seeds, as garnish
- Mix eggs, milk and honey in a bowl.
- Sift flour, sugar and baking soda into the same bowl.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients until well combined, then add vinegar. Leave in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pour the chilled batter into a cake mold, and steam it for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and enjoy!